Internet presence is crucial for any designer these days and no one can afford not to present their artworks in its best possible way to the world. If you are a designer and not very good at web development, It’s suggested to use one of the available website generators in the market to create your own portfolio website.
A website is not just about nice or engaging design, your website needs to have a correct SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) if you want to be seen on the internet and come up properly on google or other search engines. If you don't know how to do this correctly, it's important to either ask a developer who is familiar with SEO friendly coding to program your portfolio website or simply just use one of the famous website builders in the market to make sure your website will come up on search engines when people search for it.
In this article we are going to compare the best portfolio website builders for designers.
wix.com is one of the most popular website builders for designers hosting more than 100 million websites around the world. They offer a wide range of templates for different types of websites. Wix heavily invested on its user friendliness to make the platform easy to use by anyone who is looking to create a website.
- You have access to thousands of fully editable templates with your subscription. You can easily drag and drop website components to your templates or switch between templates.
- Wix is a fully hosted platform which means you don't need to pay any extra money to host your portfolio website.
- There are many different free and paid apps on wix platform allowing you to add new features to your portfolio website like shopping carts, live chat widgets or marketing tools.
- Free plan is available on wix with limited storage and bandwidth. The free plan allows designers to play around with different templates and create a fully functioning website before paying for the subscription and connecting their domain to the website.
- Connecting a domain to a website needs some technical knowledge as you need to change some information on your domain provider’s platform. Wix worked a lot on the domain connection pages and made it very simple and understandable to anyone.
- They have a great help centre and lots of articles to show you how to customise and design your website.
- Wix has a simple automatic website backup system which is very handy.
- It's very easy to add social media components such as social buttons, likes, shares, feeds, and follower counts to your website.
- Switching cost is high and if you decide to move to another provider, you need to do everything from scratch.
- You can not switch to another template after publishing your website.
- Third party apps which you need to use to scale your website might add a lot to your bill.
Squarespace is another popular website builder for designers known for its lots of nice templates and very simple of use
- There are thousands of editable templates available on Squarespace. The best feature here is you can use multiple templates for your website which makes the system very handy.
- If you have blogging in mind, Squarespace can be a good choice. You can use a commenting system for your blog, schedule your posts, and even host your own podcast.
- Squarespace has a very friendly chat service which makes the system very reliable in case you need help.
- Squarespace is famous for its highly secure platform. You don't need to worry about any security issue and all will be handled by their enterprise grade security system.
- You can easily create any kind of layouts by just drag and drop components to you website.
- There is a very useful iOS app allowing you to control your website from your mobile.
- If you decided to have an ecommerce system on your website, Squarespace could be a good choice. The system provides a well designed portal to manage your inventory items, orders, offers, and lots more.
- Integration with third party services is limited which makes it difficult for your website to grow.
- Payment solutions are limited to Stripe, Apple Pay and Paypal and you can not use any other payment processing systems.
- Page speed is a bit slow on some templates which might cause damage to your google ranking.
Weebly is one of the most affordable portfolio website builders for designers. The platform is very easy to use and includes over seventy customisable templates. The free plan is excellent and includes ecommerce features.
Weebly hosts over 40 million websites around the world. They have two editors, Weebly editor and Square editor which has been added to their system after being acquired by Square in 2018. The new Square editor is suggested for more complicated websites requiring ecommerce.
- Weebly has many modern templates suitable for a designer's portfolio.
- They have a very useful help centre and guide about SEO and keyword optimisation to help your portfolio website come up on search engines.
- You need to have some sort of coding knowledge to work with some templates.
- When you select an editor (Weebly or Square), you can not switch to the other editor on the same account.